Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Legislative Priorities

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Richie Beeler
    Participant

Fellow Commissioners,

As we discussed at our December meeting last night, our annual meeting with the Knox County Legislative Delegation will be a breakfast at 8am on Friday, January 14 at the East Tennessee History Museum downtown.

Please post in response to this topic the top three issues you would like our delegation to consider during the 2022 legislative session that would be helpful for Knox County. You may post more if you would like, but posting your top three will be helpful in consolidating a final list to present at the breakfast.

Thank you in advance, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Richie Beeler
    Chairman

John Schoonmaker
    Participant

2022 LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES

1) Support HB 192 / SB 160 for the reduction of the sales tax administration fee charged by the Dept. of Revenue to all counties, towns and cities in TN.
    2) Support the Single Article Sales Tax Proposal to return to the counties, towns and cities the sales tax on major purchases that are collected from a purchase of $1,601 to $ 3,200.
    3) Request TDOT to fast-track the widening of westbound I-40/I-75 from Campbell Station Road to the I-40/I-75 split. Also for improvements to Campbell Station and Watt Road Interchanges to accommodate the increase in traffic.
    4) Secure protections for residential areas regarding the implementation of 5G wireless service.
    5) The new replacement plan for the BEP formula should include funding for: all instructional positions, replacement of out of date buildings and Principals in every school.
    6) Support funding the actual reimbursement of housing state prisoners’ in our county jail including their medical and prescription costs from time of incarceration.
    7) Allow County Commissioners who have a temporary medical condition to join by electronic means a scheduled commission meeting.
    8) Continue to support the opioid abatement trust fund to insure counties will receive a significant portion of those funds for substance abuse treatments, mental health services and drug abuse prevention.

Please continue to add suggestions to this list. If you are opposed to any of the items, please voice your concerns.

Regards,
    John Schoonmaker

Terry Hill
    Participant

Thanks for this listing. I am wondering on #4 what type of “protections” you were thinking about?

Larsen Jay
    Participant

I would like to make sure this is on the priorities again this year:

LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACCESSIBILITY

Currently, if a member of County Commission is absent due to an extenuating circumstance (e.g. medical, family death, etc.), they cannot participate in meetings via electronic means (outside of an emergency order by the Governor) and therefore cannot represent their constituents. We would like you to support legislation that allows for electronic participation for members of Commission under emergency circumstances.

In the 2021 session, it was SB301 (Briggs) / HB327 (Wright) and failed in the Finance Committee 5-4 (even though it has no fiscal impact).

Thank you,

Commissioner Jay

Is #2 asking for a tax increase on our citizens?

John Schoonmaker
    Participant

Commissioner Smith,

On item #2, it is a reallocation of sales tax from the state collecting 9.25% on an amount of a major purchase from $1,601 to $3,200. The 2.25% portion of the tax should be returned to the county, city or town where the purchase was made. If a resident purchases a $10,000 item the tax collected (state & local) would remain the same at $772. Currently we are only receiving sales tax of $36. on the purchase of the $10,000 item. The state is collecting $736. on the $10,000 item.

Regards,
    John Schoonmaker

Commissioner Schoonmaker,

Thank you for clarifying.

John Schoonmaker
    Participant

Correction to Item #3

The fast-track of the widening on I-40 / I-75 would begin at Lovell Road and extend to the I-75 / I-40 split.

Regards,
    John Schoonmaker

John Schoonmaker
    Participant

Commissioner Hill,

Item #4 deals with a standardization of the infrastructure of the wireless towers that will be installed shortly in our neighborhoods. Potentially you could have one wireless carrier install a 35′ tower constructed of wood and then across the street a different wireless carrier could install a 40′ steel – aluminum tower. There needs to be an esthetics guide for the carriers in neighborhoods.

Regards,
    John Schoonmaker

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.