Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Reorganization Meeting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Courtney Durrett
    Participant

Commissioners,

I was just informed by the law department that Section 2.06 of the Knox County Charter states that we cannot hold our regorganization meeting before September 1. Because it is stated in the Charter, this cannot be suspended. Therefore, we need to attempt to hold the meeting on September 1st. Please reply to this forum post if you can attend reoganization on Friday, September 1, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.

Thank you,
    Courtney Durrett
    Chairwoman

Larsen Jay
    Participant

Madam Chair,

The Knox County charter in Section 2.06 reads:

“Sec. 2.06. – Election of chairman(woman) and vice chairman(woman).
    The Commission, at its first session on or after September 1, 1990, and annually thereafter, shall elect from its membership a chairman(woman), vice chairman(woman), and such other officers as the Commission deems necessary. The election procedures shall follow those established pursuant to Section 2.03E.”

The phrase “on or after” seems pretty clear reorganization could take place on September 1st, or on a later date.

Our Commission Rules state:

“SECTION H. REORGANIZATION MEETING ORDER OF PROCEDURE:
    The annual reorganization meeting of the Knox County Commission, in regard to the
    election of the Commission Chair, the Commission Vice Chair, and the Chairs and Vice
    Chairs of the Standing Committees, shall be held on September 1st or the next business day
    thereafter and conducted in accordance with the provisions of the Knox County Charter and
    as follows:”

This also outlines “on September 1st or the next business day thereafter…”

Given both of these legal elements, I would suggest we hold reorganization on Tuesday, September 5th (@ 9:00a) – which would be the first business day after September 1st since Monday, September 4th is a national holiday. I don’t believe we would need any further legislative action to move the meeting, you as the Chair could simply schedule it.

– Commissioner Jay

John Schoonmaker
    Participant

Chairwoman Durrett,

I will attend on September 1 at 8:00am.

Regards,
    Commissioner Schoonmaker

Carson Dailey
    Participant

Yes for me.

Gina Oster
    Participant

Chairwoman Durrett,

I will attend the reorganization meeting on Sept. 1, at 8 a.m.

Thank you,
    Gina

Rhonda Lee
    Participant

I am available for the Sept. 1, 8:00 am meeting.

Kim Frazier
    Participant

I will attend on Friday, September 1, 8:00am

Richie Beeler
    Participant

Yes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.